Carpenter Nature Center staff and volunteers have been banding birds since 1981. Songbirds are banded weekly throughout the year, and CNC participates in additional species specific bird banding studies. Information collected by CNC bird banders becomes part of national databases that are used to study birds and understand their dynamic populations. This research helps scientists to develop conservation practices to protect birds.
GOALS OF OUR BANDING PROGRAM INCLUDE:
- Understanding the lifecycle and behaviors of various bird species
- Documenting changing species diversity related to human encroachment and changes in land use patterns
- Documenting how migration dates are changing over time
- Documenting migratory pathways of species passing through the confluence area of the Mississippi River and St. Croix River
- Providing environmental education experiences related to bird studies and conservation