Carpenter Nature Center’s Apple Orchard
Opening day is September 8th 2021!
This year the Apple Shack will open for the season on Wednesday, September 8. We will continue to have the operating store hours be Wednesday – Sunday from 9:00 a.m.– 5:00 p.m. The store will be open with limited capacity of guests inside the building. Curbside pick-up will once again be offered this year.
Our apple orchard in Minnesota began as the passion of Thomas and Edna Carpenter in the early 1940’s, and today, Carpenter’s apples are some of the tastiest and healthiest apples in the community. As a nature center, we are committed to growing and providing the highest quality fruit in a sustainable environment. If you are looking for fresh, locally grown apples, you have come to the right place.
Besides apples, our Apple Shack has other quality goods for sale, including pumpkins, gourds, squash, honey, and maple syrup. We also offer a selection of gourmet jams, syrups, mustards and more. Our wildflower honey is extracted from the beehives in early September and is available while supplies last.
During Apple Shack hours you can just show up, shop our selection of apples, honey, syrup and more, and pay with cash, check or credit card. If you prefer a no-contact curbside pick up, you can check out our inventory and price list, below, and call in your order at (651)-437-4359. Orders made during Apple Shack hours will be available for pick up within an hour. Orders made outside of Apple Shack hours will be available during the next open hours.
Learn More About Our Orchard:
14 VARIETIES OF APPLES
We proudly raise 14 varieties of high quality apples using integrated pest management, an environmentally friendly alternative to traditional apple farming. The care and hard work we put into raising our apples results in delicious apples that are sought-after highly in our community.
Even though the harvest season is short in Minnesota, we put our harvests to good use all year round. Our apples are generally ready for picking around September to October.
Check out our apple varieties and their typical harvest times:
|Zestar!||late August||sweet & spicy, very flavorful, juicy|
|Chestnut Crab||Early/mid September||large crab-apple, crisp, juicy, spicy flavor|
|SweeTango||early to mid September||Crisp, juicy, mix of sweet and tart|
|Sweet 16||mid/late September||sweet, firm, med-acid|
|McIntosh||mid/late September||tart, firm, soft when cooked|
|Cortland||late September||tart, firm, good in salad, aromatic|
|Haralson||mid-late September||tart, crisp|
|Honeycrisp||mid-late September||crisp, juicy, sweet/slightly tart|
|Honey Gold||September/October||sweet, crisp, juicy|
|Regent||September/October||crisp, juicy, tart|
|SnowSweet||mid October||sweet, slightly tart, crisp, firm|
|Keepsake||late October||hard, sweet, aromatic|
The above dates are estimates based on usual ripening time, and can vary year by year. Please call us at (651)-437-4359 (and ask for the Apple Shack) to check what is currently available.
APPLE TREE SPONSORSHIPS
Our high-quality products sell out fast, but if you sponsor an apple tree, you never have to worry that you might miss out on your favorite variety. Apple sponsorships guarantee you 40 pounds of premium-grade apples in a variety of your choice, and include a tax-deductible donation to Carpenter Nature Center. Apples are packaged in 5lb bags and can be picked up all at once, or over the course of the season.
This year we are also offering a Taste of the Seasons sampler sponsorship. Experience the many apple varieties our orchard offers, including Zestar, SweeTango, Honeycrisp, Haralson, Cortland, Honeygold, Regent, & Snowsweet as they became available throughout the season.
To sign up for a sponsorship, download and complete our Apple Tree Sponsorship Form for 2021.
Completed forms and payment should be mailed to Erika at :
Carpenter Nature Center
12805 St. Croix Trail S.
Hastings, MN 55033
For additional questions, please contact Erika at firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone at 651-437-4359.
What are your hours?
- The Apple Shack is open 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Wednesdays – Sundays starting September 8, 2021 through Thanksgiving. During the fall, CNC front gates and Apple Shack will remain open until 5:00 p.m. All other buildings, parking lots, and trails close daily at 4:30 p.m.
Where are you located?
- The Apple Shack in located at Carpenter Nature Center’s Minnesota Campus (12805 St. Croix Trail S, Hastings, MN 55033). As you pull into the Center take a slight right up the driveway to a gravel road. Friendly faces will be there to greet you inside.
Do you offer Pick-Your-Own apples?
- No, we are not a ‘pick your own’ orchard. Refrigerated, pre-picked bags of apples are stocked inside the Apple Shack store for pick up. We DO offer the opportunity to pick your own apples at our Raptor Release and Apple Festival events.
Are we an organic farm?
- At Carpenter Nature Center, our apples are proudly grown using integrated pest management practices. The result? A healthier environment, and safer apples for you and your family. You can read more about the IPM practices here.
For any other questions, please call 651-437-4359 and ask for “The Apple Shack”.
For questions or further information on our orchard, please contact our Natural Resources Manager.
Natural Resources Manager
Call us at 651-437-4359
12805 St. Croix Trail S.
Hastings, MN 55033
300 East Cove Road
Hudson, WI 54016
Latest Nature News
- Carpenter Nature Center adds first St. Croix antenna to wildlife-tracking networkOctober 20, 2020 - 3:17 pm
- Insect MigrationSeptember 3, 2020 - 3:08 pm
- Nature Poetry: May 2020 Contest Entries & WinnersJune 8, 2020 - 1:23 pm
- Leave No Trace Principle 7: Be Considerate of Other VisitorsApril 26, 2020 - 9:00 am
- Leave No Trace Principle 6: Respect WildlifeApril 25, 2020 - 9:00 am