Carpenter Nature Center offers Internships for college or university students or recent graduates to gain hands-on experience in Environmental Education, Horticulture, Natural Resources or Communications. Interns work closely with professional staff in training, completing projects, and daily work experience. Internships are typically full time (40 hours a week) and are offered seasonally.
Environmental Education Internship –As an Environmental Education Intern, you will receive training from staff naturalists to teach a variety of environmental education programs to all ages (primarily students K – 6th grade.) Interns also help with ongoing projects and assist with the care of the Center’s program animals, including birds of prey.
Horticulture Internship – Horticulture Interns work hand-in-hand with the staff horticulturist. They gain work experience and training in the apple orchard utilizing Integrated Pest Management, help maintain native prairie and oak savanna, and assist with the gardening needs at the Center.
Communications Internship – Communications Interns receive training in producing print and e-newsletters, working with social media, planning events, and connecting with local print and television media to communicate effectively with the Nature Center’s target markets.
Natural Resources Internship – Natural Resources interns receive training and experience in conservation and resource management. In addition they will be given opportunities to work on various wildlife projects in partnership with accredited organizations. They will gain experience working in the field where they can network with other professionals.
Internships are available year round, but may vary based on position:
- Fall (Sep. – Nov.)
- Winter/Spring (Jan – May)
- Spring (March – May)
- Summer (Jun. – Aug.)
- 8 months (Sept – Nov & Jan – May)
How do I apply for an internship at CNC?
- Fill out our online internship application and submit with a letter of intent and current resume (or CV)
- Email completed application, letter of intent and current resume (or CV) to our Intern Coordinator
- Or send a printable application form along with your letter of intent and resume (or CV) via postal mail:
Carpenter St. Croix Valley Nature Center
12805 St. Croix Trail
Hastings, MN 55033
What can interns expect at CNC?
- Orientation to CNC’s facilities and operations
- Thorough training prior to directed work experience
- Support, fair treatment, and encouragement
- Helpful ideas and suggestions
- Open communication
- An atmosphere that encourages new ideas and input
- A variety of daily activities, most of which are outside
- An effort by staff to put them in touch with potential employers and provide references
- Regular performance reviews
- Weekly meetings with supervisor
- A final written evaluation of their performance
- A weekly reimbursement and optional on-site housing
What does CNC expect from interns?
- Commitment to CNC’s mission
- Professional attitude
- A desire to learn
- An honest effort to perform to the best of their ability
- Open communication
- Willingness to offer new ideas
- Timeliness and cooperation
- A good work ethic
- A final project to benefit CNC